| || || | During pregnancy, the mother has to endure the physical aspects like morning sickness on her own. The best way a husband can help his pregnant wife is by providing emotional support, which will help her to get through the entire process confidently.
Here are a few tips to help a husband provide emotional support to his pregnant wife:
- A husband tends to take a backseat when it comes to learning about pregnancy. As a result the expectant mother feels alienated. It is important for husband and wife to learn the pregnancy stuff together by going through books and parenting websites.
- Respect plays a major role in providing emotional support. A husband needs to respect the fact that his pregnant wife is going through a large degree of physical and emotional change.
- Mood swings are quite common during pregnancy. A husband needs to comfort and reassure his pregnant wife through open communication.
- Pregnancy tends to tire out women and one of the best ways for a husband to support his pregnant wife is by doing chores around the house.
- “Nesting” is an important stage that pregnant women go through. During this stage women tend to prepare their ‘nests’ by picking out nursery furniture and shopping for baby stuff. During this period a husband can support his pregnant wife by helping her to shop and build the nursery appropriately.
- Many women go through a lot of stress due to improper financial decisions. There are innumerable expenses that would-be parents need to take into account before the baby is born. It is wise for a husband to have a financial plan in place that revolves around the baby’s medical, educational, and other expenses to put his pregnant wife at ease.
- Many women do not feel sexually attractive and need validation from their husbands. In most cases sexual activity may be healthy but having intimate moments can also be a great emotional support
Illustration from Clyde Mendes column at MetroSexual LA