| || || While men and women both are truly from Earth, it can be difficult to understand each other properly. Women are more emotional while men think more with logic. For this reason, communications can get mixed up and make things difficult and tense. If you're a woman who is having a difficult time understanding your man, you are not alone. Millions of women just like you have the same problem. The good news is that you don't have to ship him off to another planet--you can understand your man. |
- Know that men need space. Men are not so different than women in this way. Most men need their space because it allows them the opportunity to unwind. Think about this--you’re at the office all day and you have to smile and be happy and make sure all the work is completed by a certain time. When you get home, you just want to kick off those high heels, get into something cozy and relax. It’s similar with men – they have spent so much time lugging around responsibility, trying to be in tune with you and taking care of other things that their space gives them a chance to unbutton their fly, burp and relax.
- Understand that men are not robots. While society expects a man to be strong all the time, it’s just not possible. Men are humans too. They will get tired, sad, upset, cranky and moody. This is just a fact of life. The best thing you can do for your man at this time is allow it to happen and know it will pass. When he’s cranky, moody, or whiny – just pretend like he’s sick or drunk. Ask if there is anything you can do for him and if not, leave him alone to sleep it off.
- Understand that your man will not always understand you. Men are often like children. They don’t really understand what’s going on in your mind and it’s very difficult to be subtle with them. If you want something or you feel a certain way, you’re most likely going to have to come right out and tell him. Women often try to give hints and when the men don’t pick up on them, the women become frustrated and angry that their hints are going unnoticed. Most of the time, it’s not intentional. Be plainer and speak in a way so that you can be understood.
- Realize that men are not in the Movies. While women long for those men who are super-romantic and always know the right thing to say, most of the time, they just don’t exist. Men often mean to be sweet and end up sounding like donkeys – but it’s up to you to read between the lines. Understand how your individual man does sweet things and displays his love for you. When you understand this, you’ll be much happier because you’ll recognize that he really is romantic a lot more than it seems…if you can understand that!
- Allow your man to be himself. Don’t expect too much from your man and you won’t be too let down. He’s an individual and after all, you picked him. Allow him to be who he is and appreciate who he is. When you do this, you’ll have an easier time understanding your man in your relationship!
Illustration from Clyde Mendes column at MetroSexual LA