In today's culture marriage has lost the sanctity that it once had. Too easily people are giving up and are ill-preparing the relationship in the first place. Here are a few ways you can make your marriage last 'til death do you part.
- Prepare to be married before you get married. This can be done with premarital counseling or just by sitting down and talking.
- Decide how your household will operate and who will have which roles. Often finances and children are never discussed until later in the marriage and an incompatibility is discovered.
- Talk about your religious and moral beliefs. What are your goals for the future? Where do you each see yourselves in 10 years? Is it the same place?
- Use common sense when arguments ensue. Don't use character assassination to make you look or feel better. You are just going to cause resentment with the other person.
- Designate a place that you can both come to compromise. Maybe you have a peaceful place in the garden or work better together in the kitchen.
- Implement a date night once a month and stick with it!
- Listen to the other person and let them finish their sentence completely before responding. Cutting people off is a huge sign of disrespect.
- Keep the spark alive. Intimacy is a very important part of any relationship.
Tips & Warnings
- Areas of incompatibility doesn't mean you shouldn't get or be married, it just means you will have to work harder at compromising.
- Do not get other people involved in your fights. They don't want to be in the middle and you will jeopardize your other relationships.
Illustration from Clyde Mendes column at MetroSexual LA